The Dark Librarians (Library)

The Dark Librarians (Library)

Home main Forums Ranger Branches The Dark Librarians (Library)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Guillermo the IVth 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Steam Crow
    Administrator

Welcome, fellow Scholar. You’ll find all matter of tomes here, including our vast array of Obscurian Arcana and the holy Formulae. This back room is for Dark Librarians & Relic Guardians ONLY; this is where we can relax our minds, have some tea, and discuss the matters of our Order at hand.

Natalie Slaughter
    Monster Ranger

I’ve preordered this book, How To Merit in Monsters, and I cannot WAIT for it to come out. It seems right up our alley.

Steam Crow
    Administrator

Man, that sounds strangely familiar:

A new chapter book series teeming with monsters, the biomes they roam, and the hopeless scout troop out to save them.

When a scout troop learns that their sleepaway camp is really a training ground for protecting the earth’s most endangered species―monsters―the lowest-ranked Troop D (or Troop Dweeb, as the other troops refer to them) is next in line to earn their Monster Merit Badges.

In How to Merit in Monsters, join Troop D on a mission to rescue the legendary Big Foot, whose water supply has been contaminated. With the help of their troop master and the ever-handy century-old Scout’s Handbook, they might just have a chance!

K. Burd
    Monster Ranger

Oooh…I wanna read that too! Will have to add it to my ever growing book list…

Skull Ranger/Relic Guardian here, but a truly bookworm-ish one.

Caitlin aka Cat
    Monster Ranger

Hi, I’m Caitlin, aka Cat, Carter from Torrance. I’m a new Dark Librarian/Relic Guardian….considering also Yokai Rangers tho for my love of kaiju.

Guillermo the IVth
    Monster Ranger

Will be posting monthly spoiler-free capsule reviews as recommendations from the Monster Rangers’ Tucson Troop’s Cucuy Party Book Club Reading Meetings. While the selections will mostly be bookishly Dark Librarian-centric, some will be of interest to other branches for general monstrousness & imaginative adventuring. If you’ve read these and want to chime in on them, please do.

To lead off for April:

shadow-of-the-wind-cover

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon — Dark Librarians should relish the tale of a young boy given care of a book from a secret library. But why does this book need protection in the first place? Perhaps the faceless stranger in bandages who suddenly shows up outside his house at night might know! Translated into over 40 languages, this Barcelonaoense novel’s not your normal Bildungsroman — it’s an exceptional one.

Guillermo the IVth
    Monster Ranger

necronomicon

The Necronomicon by Abdul Alhazred — All Dark Librarians are probably familiar with this darkest of books. Supposedly a fictitious tome of necromantically cosmic spellwork and portent, some say that it may have been a real book secretly cosseted within H.P. Lovecraft’s father’s esoteric library. Whatever the truth, there have been at least five versions of this book to surface, each different, all offering secrets man was not meant to know. Conjure Guard bait, indeed. We recommend the Skoob Books version with the expansive introductory essay by Colin Wilson. For a more grimoire-style experience, the Simon version will give you goetia and gate openings Summerian style. [Pictured Necronomicon custom crafted & authored by Zarono.]

Guillermo the IVth
    Monster Ranger

For June:

the king in yellow

The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers — Before Lovecraft’s dreaded Necronomicon, Chambers wrote a short story cycle about a banned  & rare medieval play which then plagued its readers with otherworldly incursions, or caused them to Imaginate strangeness about themselves, all linked to a mysteriously corruptive figure: the eponymous King in Yellow! What a dangerous drama for Dark Librarians to covet!

Guillermo the IVth
    Monster Ranger

The Club DumasFor July:

The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte  — Dark Librarians could take a page out of unscrupulous book detective & protagonist Richard Corso’s playbook. Hired to research the few remaining editions of a book supposedly meant to conjure the devil, he travels across Europe to compare the copies. Of course the owners of these books aren’t the usual sort of animals, and in his search Corso begins to attract the deadly attentions of the unknown. Turned into The Ninth Gate movie, the book contains even more worms within its pages, including a whole excised subplot involving Alexandre Dumas.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About The Author

Steam Crow

Daniel has a lifelong fascination with Monsters, Halloween, illustration, pen & paper rpgs, collecting miniatures, watching movies, and listening to and playing music. He's been a graphic designer since 1994; Monster Rangers is a culmination of all of his personal projects in one. He lives in Arizona with Dawna and Goblin, and runs the Steam Crow.