Welcome Forums Creature Canteen Fiji Mermaid Cocktail Recipes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Steam Crow
    Administrator

This is where you can share your recipes (both powerful and virgin) for beverages inspired by Gentalman Jihm, Fiji Mermaid. (Our Kickstarter.)

Ronald Conner
    Monster Ranger

When I think of fiji there are some local liquors that are great but you’re not likely to find them in the states, to substitute you can always go with rum which is as ubiquitous on the equatorial and tropical islands in one form or another. For this drink I’m thinking a slight variation on rum which is cachaca it’s more grassy because it comes from earlier in the sugar making process and often uses fresh sugar cane juice as the fermented sugar.

Cachaca is light and grassy but we need something dark like the storm and but not as heavy as blackstrap. For my own purposes I’m using a locally made nocino which is a black walnut liqueur, it’s as black as sin and they age it in rye whiskey barrels with a rye whiskey base so there is fire down below.

Fiji also screams tiki to me and tiki + pirate + merman always says a good time to be had so we need fruit juices. Lime is too sharp so I’m going to recommend a good meyer lemon or if you’re going to the bottle maybe a ruby red grapefruit.

To round this out a carton of POG (pineapple, Orange, Guava).

THE PT BARNUM
    To assemble:
    Hardware – Boston shaker
    Milk Frother
    Mixing glass
    Ice
    Software:
    3oz Cachaca
    1oz Nocinio
    3oz POG juice
    1 oz fresh squeezed Meyer Lemon or ruby red Grapefruit juice
    1 egg
    In mixing glass place both juices and 1 egg white. Using milk frother combine until you have a light foam.
    Place cachaca and nocnio in shaker and dry shake without ice. Add ice and juice foam, shake until cold.
    Strain and Pour the resulting into a tall straight sided collins glass

Ronald Conner
    Monster Ranger

THE DEEP

For a mocktail type arrangement you want something that looks like the ocean. For this you’ll want to raid the candy and soda aisles at the grocery store.
    Swedish fish
    Green Gummy Tape
    Jones Soda Berry Lemonade

While you’re there pick up a bottle of POM pomegranate juice. You can use it straight or you can make a nice thick grenadine like syrup with a little sugar and a saucepan.

If swedish fish aren’t your thing swing by a candy by the lb store and look for gummy sharks, if gummy tape is too sour you can do a fruit leather in a blue or green color.

You’ll want a larger glass to do this in, I use a 12oz working glass which almost looks like a mixing glass but anything with a wide mouth is ideal since you’re going to have a lot of stuff.

Take about 2oz of orange juice and add two drops of green food coloring, stir and add to the bottom of the glass.

Shred the green gummy tape or fruit leather so it looks like floating seaweed. Add fish or sharks and seaweed to the “green” portion.

Now for the tricky bit. You’ll want to pour the soda down the glass at an angle slowly much in the way you’d pour a beer to avoid getting a head on it. If you want to pour over the back of a barspoon that works also. The idea is to pour about half the glass so that it doesn’t rile up the green juice more than necessary.

Next you’ll want to use either grenadine or a thick pom syrup and lay some tracers on top to look like blood swirls, then finish up the rest of the soda.

Lastly if you want whitecaps you can take a little whipped cream (tub not can) and let it warm up so it’s loose then spoon a bit on top of the glass like a float.

Adult version: OJ + green Midori on the bottom, Blue Curacao + jones soda + Rum (about 1-3-1 mix which I suggest you do in another glass), irish cream + whipped cream for the float.

A note on rum I would recommend a good 3 year plantation rum, anything clear. Below deck silver, Captain Morgan white if you have to, Cruzan is also good.
    A good crazy straw is crucial to drinking this thing, as is a good plain clear glass. The inclusions are all the party in this drink and you want to drop the straw through layers rather than stirring the drink to get the best of the juice + soda + cream setup.

It’s a challenging drink and can get chewy at the end but from the sour to the berry to the rum it’s a pretty smooth operation, You can add crushed ice if you want, it will help the kelp and fish stay more stable in the glass instead of heading to the bottom.

Ronald Conner
    Monster Ranger

In case anyone is curious I posted a Make your own grenadine on my own blog a while ago, I still use the same recipe pretty much unaltered.

Make Your Own: Grenadine

It sounds tempting and delicious. You are curious to see what it is about, but the kick off caffeine is not what you expected (nonalcoholic option at end)

Ice Cubes
    2 Parts Vodka (Coconut Flavor if you want extra coconut, or coffee and chocolate flavors work well too)
    1 Part Almond Liqueur
    3 Parts Cream Of Coconut
    2 Parts Vanilla Ice Cream
    Maraschino Cherry
    1 tablespoon Instant Espresso
    1 tablespoon Sugar
    1 tablespoon hot water

Fill a blender with ice cubes. Add all ingredients. Blend and pour into a glass.

In a bowl mix espresso, sugar, and hot water. Use a hand mixer to beat until as-stiff-as-possible peaks. Put on to of drink mixture.

Garnish with a cherry

Non alcohol version easy. Use coconut milk/cream instead and a 1/4 teaspoon almond extract. Mix as normal
    Can also be made Vegan with milk-alternative ice cream

This isn’t my recipe, but I thought it sounded pretty good:

THE FIJI MERMAID

1 oz Four Roses Bourbon
    1 oz Barbancourt 8 Year Rhum
    1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
    1/2 oz Grenadine
    1/2 oz Lemon Juice
    1 dash Angostura Bitters
    10 drop St. George Absinthe

Shake with ice, strain into a double old fashioned glass, and fill with crushed ice. Garnish with a lemon peel mermaid’s tail and freshly grated nutmeg, and add straws.

Original recipe link

Jhenn
    Monster Ranger

I am not a fan of sweet fruity drinks. So here’s my submission… which I have named “The Mer”!!
    (… hmmm…that is a work in progress…)

1 oz Creme De Menthe
    1oz Vanilla Bailey’s (aka Bailey’s Almande)
    splash of milk

shake with ice, strain and serve

non-alcoholic version:
    1oz Torani Creme de Menthe Syrup
    1oz milk
    (maybe a drop of vanilla extract for flavor)

shake with ice, strain and serve

I present this as a shot, but it could easily be a mug-sized drink, just keep the ratio 1:1.

Turing
    Monster Ranger

Gentalman Jihm’s White Fijian
    5 parts rum (coconut rum???)
    2 parts coffee liqueur
    3 parts coconut milk

It’s a White Russian with rum instead of vodka and coconut milk instead of milk. I used standard ratios for a White Russian, though we may have to adjust for optimal flavor. I don’t have any of these ingredients on hand. Anyone want to experiment with it and see if it’s any good???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.